Analyst, Climate Change (China)
Location: Beijing, China
Closing date: 30 May 2019
The Analyst role in the climate team is fast-paced and incredibly diverse. You will have the opportunity work on wide portfolio of climate change mitigation programmes across a number sectors and/or geographies.
About the role:The CIFF Climate team is driven by a vision of a climate-safe future for today’s children and future generations. We support the urgent global transition to a zero-carbon society. We are committed to strategies that get to the heart of the greatest climate challenges and are willing to support new approaches to accelerate action and the step-change in ambition required to keep global warming below 1.5C.
The Analyst role in the climate team is fast-paced and incredibly diverse. You will have the opportunity work on wide portfolio of climate change mitigation programmes across a number sectors and/or geographies. You will provide programme management, administrative and research support, with the opportunity to manage your own grants and partnerships.
CIFF is one of the largest philanthropic funders both in international development and climate change mitigation and offers a broad range of opportunities to work with leading experts in their fields as well as ongoing learning and development opportunities including a personal allowance to be spent on any relevant career training every year. As an Analyst your contribution will be integral to supporting CIFF and our partners – some of the best climate actors in the field – to deliver CIFF’s ambitious climate agenda.
Strategy & planning
• Conduct insightful research and analysis on specific projects and climate sector trends, to support the Climate team in determining strategic priorities and setting operational plans.
• Provide and communicate global and regional insights verbally and in writing, including developing graphs and charts to contribute to the strategy and planning process.
• Prior to approval of a programme proposal, assist the team in preparing aspects of the programme strategy and evidence base, working with wider teams and in country experts.
Programme development, delivery & performance
• Lead the end-to-end oversight and administration of the management process of substantial grants (from concept formation, proposal development through to final payment), suggesting improvements where appropriate, and always seeking to add value, to enable the Climate team to deliver and monitor its philanthropic activity efficiently and effectively and ensuring impact.
• Lead the preparation and dissemination of regular and ad hoc reporting on sector/portfolio/programme performance, to ensure colleagues and partners (as required) have access to accurate and relevant management information.
• Work closely with members of the Finance and Legal team to coordinate the development of grant agreements, forecasting of grant payments, to enable effective grant management and reporting within the organisation.
• Act as ‘Super-User’ for CIFF’s online grants management system for the team, ensuring they are deployed appropriately to optimise the efficiency and effectiveness of grant management.
• Support the preparation of summary reports, board reports and portfolio investment reports, to ensure these are produced to a high standard and in a timely fashion – which can often mean to high quality in very short timeframes.
Sector knowledge and profile-building
• Build and maintain a range of relevant knowledge and information resources to enable the Climate team to access high quality intelligence, analysis and data to inform current and future programme activity – always seeking to add value and join the dots.
• Work collaboratively with colleagues and partners across multiple locations and geographies to conduct research projects to inform Climate team’s grant making activities.
Stakeholder and partner management
• Maintain good and productive relationships with our partners and grantees, which can include dealing with senior experts from around the world
• Build the climate teams capabilities to make broader changes by building and maintaining a network of individuals and organisations both current and new that can drive bigger changes.
• Coordinate logistics for CIFF programme visits and ensure that visitors are adequately briefed.
Click here to apply